Sunday, September 20, 2015

Fortune and the Swan Song

One year and a half or so ago, I got a letter from President Monson himself calling me on a mission to Nagoya Japan Most of you email readers thought I was in the third-largest Japanese city in a mini-Tokyo like atmosphere for the last year a half but actually, I've only been in Nagoya about ten times, just to do mission business and see General Authorities. I actually have been living in three different areas that are an average of a three hour train rides from Nagoya. That is about to change as I am transferring to Fukutoku which is home to the Nagoya Stake Center and in the heart of Nagoya. I will be surrounded by people who need the restored gospel everywhere I go. I feel anxious, excited, scared, nervous, stressed and amazed at the prospects lying before me. I have never had so many people around me at one time. Not only will I have all these new people to look after, I will also have the privilege of looking after the whole Fukutoku Zone as a Zone Leader. Luckily I have an experienced half-Japanese elder from Texas named Elder Moulton to guide me around the big city. I sure do have an adventure in store for me with the big move!

With me transferring, I have been able to reflect a little bit on my time here in Numazu. It all started with me coming to Japan last year in late July. I got to learn how to be a missionary from Elder Siedschlag (who just went home today) in Numazu, and then I got the opportunity to come back to Numazu and train the fabulous Elder Silva. I am leaving a lot unfinished. Mizuguchi San's Mom got really sick and went to the hospital so we weren't able to have lessons with him until Sunday. It was a really good lesson about Law of Chastity, Prophets and Temples and he is really ready. We ask him questions and he knows all the answers already. I am excited to see pictures of the baptism next Sunday. Also yesterday we met our Vietnamese friend at the eki and started having really simple English lessons. He doesn't really know a lot but since our language is limited it is very direct to his needs. He agreed to pray about the Book of Mormon (which he read already a 100 pages of and promised to read to the end) just for us but it is a good start. He even told us he wants to be a better person and asks us if he couldn't just do it without Christ's help. We explained you could try but Christ will make you SOO much better. A lot of other loose ends are hanging out too but I trust Elder Silva and his new Japanese companion to take care of things. God hasn't transferred from Numazu so I can leave happy, knowing that I helped a little bit in the end.

Today in personal study, I reflected a little bit on my experience in Numazu (where I have spent half of my mission) as I read Alma 26 from the BOM. This chapter is the quintessential missionary chapter where Ammon glories in God for all the success he has seen on his mission. This chapter comes after 14 years of hard labor amongst his brethren the Lamanites and it is after he sees his recent converts strong in the gospel. He starts out by saying how no one ever could have expected the miracles he and his brethren have seen. And then he says in verse 8, "blessed be the name of our God; let us sing to his praise, yea, let us give thanks to his holy name, for he doth work righteousness forever." And in verse 16 Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord?" And in verse 30 "We have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some. Now behold, we can look forth and see the fruits of our labors."

 I think sometimes we as missionaries are so focused on improving that we view ourselves as the dust of the Earth, terrible at everything. It is true we are all natural man and our point in life is to improve but I think this viewpoint sometimes gets in the way, for me at least, at appreciating the things God has been able to do because of your faith and obedience, even though you are not perfect. So look around, see what you have done, praise the Lord for what he has done through you. Then, after you bumped up some self-esteem, get back to work and do your very best to improve even more, to be that much more of a parent, a teacher, a young men's leader, a spouse, or even a missionary. So as Ammon did, I too would like to thank my Lord for all the miracles I have seen in this tiny outcast city of Numazu. This place will always have a special place in my heart for the work I have been able to play such a small part in as I was the Lord's hands. And may I continue to see the little things as I go to Fukutoku and may you as well as you go about in your everyday lives.

 I love you all and have an amazing week!
One last time with my B.F.F. Mizuguchi

Numazu District

Last Numazu English Class.. (I don't know where the vampire came from...)

My favorite 4 year old, Masamichi!!!!



Me and my trainer (Siedschalg) before he went back to Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment