Sunday, March 15, 2015

Invitations and The Big Dance!!

I would like to start off by congratulating BYU on them accepting their invite to the NCAA Tournament (and yes, play-in games count as being a part of the bracket).  This week I have actually been thinking a lot about inviting though.  Now sadly due to strep throat (which by the way left me the hugest white spots I had ever since in my life that are at least 5 times the size of the period at the end of this sentence) I had that kept me debilitated from Monday to Wednesday, I haven`t too much to write about this week so I guess my thoughts will have to do for most of the e-mail.  We had my first zone conference here in Matsumoto while I have been here and while it was kind of weird not having to spend the night and take a three hour train ride to attend, it was really good.

We talked about inviting and how essential it was in missionary work.  Like if we don`t invite people to be baptized or to meet with us, they aren`t going to randomly just show up dressed in white in the font or at the church waiting for a lesson.  I think that is something I need to work on, in teaching and finding.  I hate when you stop someone and you only got so little time before the light turns green.  It is pretty easy to get in a hello in that moment but it is a lot harder to get in something that could change their eternal salvation such as a commitment to learn more.

In the Liahona`s youth section (which probably translates to the New Era for all y`all) they had some interesting articles this month about inviting that caught my eye.  Yeah, they were intended to get youth to share the gospel confidently but it went along just with all of the things I learned in Zone Conference.  It talked about how we need to be a good example BUT (and that is a big but) we have to invite people too so they can learn more about our beautiful message.  It brought me back to the days of high school where wearing a BYU shirt counted as my duty to share the gospel.  It is a good way to open up doors for people to talk about gospel topics but I should have walk through those doors when I could have.  It is no wonder why the youth have such activities as weekly mutual and dances and why wards have Christmas parties and ward BBQs.  While they are suppose to let the member have a good time, they also are a great non-threatening way to invite people to see the church building, meet and build relationships with members, and even talk a little bit with the missionaries.

I guess as a missionary it is a bit different because I can just bust down all conversation barriers and say to a random guy on the street `Hey, you, you wanna know about the gospel` with no awkwardness or feeling like we can`t be friends after the fact.  So I guess my next e-mail should have a lot about how I extend commitments and how people re-act to them when I am on the street and in lessons as I work to better invite others to come closer to Christ.  Yes remember that as you are a good example and look for ways to talk to people about the gospel and inviting them to church, or to a mutual activity, a ward activity, or even a dinner and FHE with your family, that the Lord will bless you and those you invite!

I hope everyone has a good week and that you are cheering for BYU to win it all this year!  Or maybe just a game or two, I don`t want to miss anything too big! 

Love you all and here is a picture of me (and my lovely glare in the glasses) and Elder Jones winning the Celestial apartment award for the whole zone and my March Madness Bracket!


Elders Hall and Jones win the Celestial Apartment Award!




No comments:

Post a Comment