Sunday, March 29, 2015

My day as a senpai



So Thursday was the first day on my mission that I was the senior companion in the area as I welcomed another elder into my area.  Usually this happens sooner unless you are in four man districts and live with your district leader in the same apartment but he is not your companion.  So, with most things so far on my mission, I am behind the curb in this never happening to me until now.  It was weird though because I was the only one who knew what was going on, even though I actually didn`t know.  My kohai is sick weeks younger then me but he knows way more Japanese then me.  You know you suck when you have to ask your kohai `What the crap did that guy say?`

Anyways, I picked him up at the train station, said good-bye to my companion, and then got lost trying to find a building that was one street away.  It wasn`t a lesson persay but we were meeting with my best Canadian friend Calvin who we met at the Japanese class we go to once a week.  He is here teaching English but he doesn`t really know Japanese.  So, we used our gaijin power to set up an appointment with him to study some Japanese.  Me and Elder Callahan dumbed down our Japanese a little bit so he didn`t feel like we were teaching him but we studied some Nihongo.  We wrapped up and I was starting to get cold-feet as far as an invitation goes since I had used a page from the Power of the Everyday Missionary and said as many Mormon words as a normal conversation would allow but he never really opened the door.  So, before we left, I took advantage of the fact that this mid-20`s year old who complained about how quiet Matsumoto was has nothing to do in his spare time and will accept any invitations to hang out.  So, I use an General Conference invite an couch it with the `It`s in English!` and he said to e-mail him to remind him and he probably could come.  Calvin isn`t a investigator quite yet since I was too soft because I didn`t want to just be like `We like you but.... we only did this for your baptism.`  Hopefully it works out in the end.

Next we had lunch with the other elders at Curry and then we talked to people as we rode bikes homes and I was wondering `Where is the apartment?`  We ran into an old Grandpa you spoke English and was chatting with us and said he went to our English class years ago.  He said he had nothing to do so I invited him to church and English class.  Nothing yet but he says he just walks around all day so maybe I will see him again.

We made it back to the apartment after talking to some people along the way and we had our appointment that afternoon fall through.  So I called the member who was going to go with us and he understood me enough to know that it was canceled.  We also had our appointment with Tommy fall through since he is where most Chinese people are-- in CHINA!!!  But he is coming back this week.  So, a full day planned out for the special occasion became, `Let`s talk to people on the street.  Just turn right outside of the apartment and talk to everyone and when we run into a small street with no one on it, turn around!`  So, that is how the last five hours of the day went.  It was pretty good because we would switch off when talking to people and really good unity.  We could speak about the same but my understanding is WAY below average so I`d just do a spiel until they said something back to me.  I randomly shared the First Vision all by myself with the background and the memorized part with a random teenager who was like, `ah` but it was pretty cool none the less.

Then we went back to the apartment after housing a random apartment complex (and found it without the map on the phone #LettheHolySpiritGuide) and talked A LOT!  I have old companions FOREVER and forgot how much stuff old companions don`t understand.  Like, who remembers Pompei?  Eh, eh, uh, eh, oh.  That might just date me as to how far I left on my mission and what my music tastes are.  He is from Provo so we had our trunky BYU sports discussion when he saw my bracket hanging on the door.  It has been awhile since I could just say Cecil and the other person would know who I was talking about as he forms a y with his hand.  Or say `STILL OPEN` and I wouldn`t be the only one drooling as the memory of John Beck`s last second game winning TD throw to beat Utah bounced across my mind.  So it was a really good kocan that gave me a much needed confidence boost.

We also had transfer calls this week but since it is a week early, I`m not supposed to tell anyone.  I was hoping I could go have adventures being senpai more but... I guess I will tell you all next week.  Have a great week and just remember, when you don`t know what you need to do and you have two canceled appointments with a bunch of time, just turn to the Lord and he can help you out.  Maybe he won`t spell the answer out for you in every detail but, with faith all will be well. 

Love you all!  




 I`M DEFYING GRAVITY!!!

My March Madness Bracket (Kentucky better lose)

Study Room




No comments:

Post a Comment