Sunday, May 3, 2015

W. W. S. D. (What Would Shiblon Do?)




So, not going to lie, this past week has been a little bit of a let down.  One of our investigators went to Canada for an indefinite, extended period of time, another one told us he`d come meet us Sundays at 6.... only if he has the time (which he obviously hasn`t had recently), another investigator is in Nagano city for a little bit and our star investigator with a baptismal date informed us he can`t met for another week because of Golden Week.  Golden Week may sound golden but, at least for missionaries, I have found that this upcoming week will hardly be golden as people are chilling with their families for three days instead of learning about how they can live with them forever with us.  It is a bummer about Tommy too because we are trying to meet with him more than once a week because just like how it is hard for us members to come closer to Christ by just going to church once a week on Sunday and then forgetting about religion, it is nearly impossible for investigators to make the necessary commitments to be baptized if they only think about their choice to be baptized an hour every week.  But McDonald`s does still have their limited time Sakura Milkshakes so that is definitely a positive!

Another reason the week has been less than stellar is because, well, I have been sick the last couple of days.  Sore throat, slight nauseau and the like, and since sleeping two days straight except for going to church has helped, I figured the doctor might.  But, because it is Golden Week, the clinic is closed so that makes life much more difficult.  Luckily I have downloaded a bunch of seminary videos today at the church on my IPad to get me through if I will be struck down with this plague for a day or two more.

This week`s General Conference tidbit comes from my best friend Elder Michael Ringwood.  We met for the first time this past December when he came to the mission to explode our minds on Moroni 7 and give us some awesome dendo tips.  So, I was naturally excited that one of my fond friends got to the pulpit during General Conference.  Then he said he would like to talk about one of his favorite scripture heros.  I was guessing he would say Nephi or Ammon or the usual but I was kind of thrown-off by Shiblon.  I like it though.  I have often felt like Shiblon, not outstanding enough to be applauded and given holy records of scripture like Helaman but not a great sinner who needed to be chided for his disobedient actions like Coriantan.  Just doing my job, meeting the requirements, just like a normal person.  So his talk related to me quite well.  It made me think, `Why am I trying to be a good missionary?`  Sometimes I feel left behind and I feel the need to catch up.  I like his story about his companion that others gossiped about and wondered why he was never a leader.  Sometimes we think that being a District or Zone Leader makes you better or more qualified, or more righteous but in actuality, it just is an opportunity to help more people.  At the end of the mission, God won`t ask us, `How young were you when you went senior?  How many transfers were you a district leader?  How many elders did you train?`  I think my mission president will just ask me, `Did you do your best?  Did you serve God with your whole heart?`  We are all Elders, we are all Brother or Sister, so why worry about comparing?  Just be the best person you can be, regardless of titles, honor, or position.  Ask yourself, What Would Shiblon Do?  Keep working, keep trying, no matter what other think because there is only one`s thoughts that should matter to us.  

Everyone have a great week and love you all!


Picture: My weekly Japanese adventure... Chocolate Corn!





No comments:

Post a Comment