Sunday, November 30, 2014

I Go Back to December Once a Year!!

IT`S DECEMBER (at least as I write this it is in Japan, I am not quite sure about the rest of you all)!!!  The tourist part of town in Takayama is full with Christmas decorations to please the Europeans and some of the Japanese.  Christmas has actually come up in a couple of conversations with people on the street when we ask what their opinion about Christ is.  They all say Illumination (which is what the Japanese call Christmas lights) and Christmas cake is the best.  I am hoping Christmas cake has a lot of frosting and is pretty big and that a member might delight us with some.

It hasn`t snowed quite yet but I am waiting very carefully for it.  Vaughn Choro says that once it snows we will do what we call `Snow Dendo` and go outside, find someone shoveling snow and say, `Hey, can we help you` and then spread the gospel that way.  I`m hoping some people will let us in their house to warm us up by the fire so that we can get into a proper lesson but, then again, I would rather not have snow in the first place.  So, I am dreaming of a brown/black/green Christmas.  Maybe one P-day I will make a snowman!

This week was, well, transfer calls but nothing changed in our four person district so it was really not that big of a deal this time around.  It will be good that we will all be here for Christmas, just the four of us because Elder Williams has quite the selection of Christmas music.  Other than that, this week has kind of been rough.  Our Filipino friend/investigator talked to his Mom about us and wanting to be baptized and she told him he couldn`t meet with us again.  Jay has agreed to meet us one more time because he is rebellious and likes us a lot!  We are going to go over and talk to his Mom this next Fast Sunday with our Branch President so we can have all of the branch prayers and fasts going our way.  Hopefully we can soften her heart and Jay can continue preparing for baptism on Christmas but if we can`t at least Jay has taken steps closer to Christ.

We did this week, however, get an appointment with a former investigator that elders long ago contacted.  The coffee and beer cans outside the house has given us some worry but I think it is about time I practice my teaching the Word of Wisdom skills again.  `Don`t don`t drink, no don`t even think about it, Drinking stinks, stinky drink no doubt about`.  We went with Lisa a recent RM who served in Tokyo after we ate out at her new work called Lotterria (Vaughn calls it the Wendy`s of Japan, not as cheap as McDonalds but not as good and pricey as In-N-Out).  She won`t be able to help us teach lessons but we can still talk a little English with her before she heads off to the BYU English Learning Center next April.

I almost forget to say but this Thanksgiving we had, well, the most traditional Thanksgiving dinner ever, all you can eat SUSHI!!!  I tried to get Eel sushi so I could have the same food as the Pilgrims and my BFF ancestor William Brewster had at the First Thanksgiving but I settled with Duck with Black Pepper which was just as good.  And I had Taco sushi... but taco in Japanese is octopus so I was thinking I could find a Taco Bell in Japan but instead of Mexican food it would be octopus.  That was for lunch and for dinner we had the first meal we made in Takayama with no rice, mashed potatoes and fried chicken!  I also tried to make vanilla pudding but I accidentally burnt it and spilled a bunch of the powder before I made it.

I hope that everyone enjoyed their Turkey Bowls, football, and good `ole `Merican turkey and that everyone enjoys the start of Christmas season!  

Thanks again for all the letters and e-mails!  Have a dandy of a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment